Rant: Youtubers make a big deal about working out while on your period!


A lot of the Youtubers I watch, whether they are fitness inclined or not, make a big deal about working out while being on their period. I do not understand why there is such a fuzz about it, so let me tell you why I disagree with them.

Based on my own experience, there are only two main things that can affect your workout routine while on your menstrual cycle, ready?

  • What feminine product you use: tampons or pads
  • Effects your period has on you (cramps, headache, etc)
Tampons or pads, the preference is up to you. I have worked out using both and there is a huge difference when it comes to comfortability and feeling covered. Tampons feel more secure and in place, whereas pads feel less protective and more invasive. This is more clear when doing floor exercises (crunches, glute bridges, jumping jacks, etc.) The more movement, the more it feels like there can be leakage, whereas with tampons (depending on how heavy your flow is) you know you are covered. So the best way to reduce discomfort when it comes to this is figuring what works out for you. If you use pads predominantly, try a tampon and vice versa. You might be surprised at the results, I know that when I made the switch, I was.

Now, effects your period has on you is a bit tricky but not impossible to explain. There are times when I go to the gym while on my period where my headache or cramps are stronger than normal.
This impacts my mood and as a result, how I perform in my workout. It sucks HOWEVER this isn't something ibuprofen or acetaminophen (aka Tylenol) can't cure. You can also take some pills (I am not sure at the moment) BEFORE your period starts to reduce cramps. There are other ways to alleviate cramps that don't require pills such as a hot pad.

I just don't see the hype regarding making 10-20 min long videos explaining this. Unless I mistaken which can happen (I am only human) these are the two biggest issues that come up. Let me know if I am wrong or if there is anything I am missing.

As always, here.
Chiseling my best self,

Sam
* Disclaimer: this is not geared to my fellow women that have above average menstrual cycles. I understand that there are many reasons as to why this can be. So please ignore this if you are not someone that has what is considered an "average" period. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts